Category Archives: #community

Flint’s Water Problems are the Symptom, Not the Disease

Article in Belt Magazine – Dispatches from the Rust Belt

These past few months, the news has been full of stories about the water contamination in Flint, Michigan. As a native of the city with family and friends who still live there, this story has been particularly painful. The reality of the situation, however, is that even if Fiji water flowed from Flint faucets, the residents there would still be suffering from decades of neglect and disinvestment. My recent article, published in Belt (as in “Rust Belt”) Magazine, chronicles Flint’s decline in personal terms, and describes what must be done to reestablish Flint to what it once was – a model city.

To read the article in Belt Magazine, click on the link below.

Source: Flint’s Water Problems are the Symptom, Not the Disease | Belt Magazine | Dispatches From The Rust Belt

To get a PDF file of the original article text, click here.

2015: A Year of Anniversaries

2015 was a year of anniversaries – some happy, some sad, some bittersweet. As each anniversary came and went this year, I made a mental note, but didn’t otherwise recognize it. Doing so distracted me from the flow of daily events, and besides that, it made me feel old. However, sitting here on the eve of the eve of a new year, I feel like collecting and recognizing these anniversaries. If you were a part of any of them, you know how special they were. Continue reading

Speaking @ Christ The King Church Flint, This Sunday

wdt_at_lectern

This Sunday, July 12, I have the honor of being the Festival Speaker at Christ the King church in Flint, Michigan. Always great to go back home and see so many long-standing friends. Thanks to Father Phil Schmitter for the invitation. I’m still settling on my topic .  The problem is that there are so dang many to choose from! If you’re in the Flint area this Sunday, come on over — we’ll have a good time. When? Immediately after 9:45 am service.

The prescription for Baltimore: jobs

471381728-1500x1000It was hard to watch the images coming out of Baltimore last week. Seeing Freddy Gray’s life cut short, a man who was the same age as my own son, was tragic enough. The ensuing protests, the riot, the wall-to-wall media coverage, the talk about urban hopelessness, lack of opportunity, poor education – all of this was unsurprising, if not downright predictable. This is a story that is getting very old, about a situation for which solutions exist, solutions that are not even being attempted. That is precisely why the story is so hard to watch. Continue reading

Is it 2015 already?

Yes, of course I realize that 2015 has arrived, but in many ways i’m just not ready to accept that fact. Perhaps that is why I’m just now getting around to sending out a New Year post on January 8. I happen to be sitting at home in front of my computer, getting ready to head over to Ann Arbor and greet a fresh new class of U-M IOE 422 Entrepreneurship students. I had to first pause and send this missive though, because if I don’t do so today I might not get around to it before May or June. Continue reading

Be My Guest at Urban Entrepreneurship Symposium 2014

david tarver

Dear Friends and Colleagues,

For the past several months, I’ve been leading a talented team working to bring an important event to our area! Finally, this event is just around the corner — it’s the Urban Entrepreneurship Symposium taking place on October 10, 2014.  Momentum is building, and we’re hoping you’ll attend and help us spread the word by emailing a personal invitation to your friends and colleagues. We have provided a template below.

Click here to get your own  ticket — space is limited! We appreciate your support and hope to see you at the event.

——–

You are cordially invited to attend the 2014 Urban Entrepreneurship Symposium.  Join us as representatives from business, education, government, and communities gather to explore ways to apply entrepreneurship to benefit urban communities.

Key topics at the seminar will include:

• Proven methods for engaging urban communities to determine needs, and for translating those needs into products and services
  • Vivid examples of sustainable, scalable, and disruptive businesses that are solving important urban problems
  • Student-led business ideas that show promise for changing the urban social and economic landscape.
  • Strategic, legal, and financial support systems needed to ensure the success of urban entrepreneurs.

The morning keynote speaker is Dr. Jeffrey Robinson from the Rutgers University Center for Urban Entrepreneurship and Economic Development (CUEED), a leading figure in the urban entrepreneurship movement.  The luncheon will feature a talk by Jill Ford, special assistant to the mayor of Detroit for entrepreneurship initiatives.

The event is free, but space is limited.  Visit www.urbanei.net for tickets and see attached flyer for printing.

Friday, October 10, 2014
8am-2pm
Gerald R. Ford Presidential Library
1000 Beal Ave.  ▪  Ann Arbor, Michigan   ▪  48109

Thank you!

David Tarver Joins Ross Leaders Academy Board

RossLogo

David Tarver has been appointed to an important new initiative in the U-M Ross School of Business.  The Ross Leaders Academy is an advanced leadership development program for select final-year MBA students.  In the coming year, Its core charge is to carry the Ross Impact Challenge venture from concept to creation in Detroit. This challenge entails creating a sustainable business that fulfills an important social purpose.  Students benefit from executive networking, executive coaching, and a year of activities that support learning from experience.

“I’m excited to join the Ross Leaders Academy Board, because the program dovetails nicely with the work we are doing at the Urban Entrepreneurship Initiative,” David says.  “If we can encourage and facilitate business innovation in service to urban communities in Detroit and elsewhere, we can improve the economic environment, but more importantly, we can improve the quality of life for millions of people.”

The Urban Entrepreneurship Initiative, founded by Mr. Tarver, will hold its first symposium on October 10. Brian Flanagan from the Ross Leaders Academy project team will attend the symposium and will take part in the Community Engagement panel discussion.