JOIN THE TEAM
TechTown Detroit seeks managing director, technology-based entrepreneurship.
This role is responsible for overseeing the execution of all TechTown technology-based programs (called Labs), including pipeline development (talent, technologies and partners), technology-based enterprise creation activities and strategic development of platform programs that address real world problems. Any applicant should be able to demonstrate a depth of experience and success in developing, negotiating and closing significant and creative deals.
This professional works in partnership with the president and CEO, along with the members of the TechTown leadership team, to develop and execute enterprise strategies designed to transform Detroit’s economy.
TechTown embodies a diverse, dynamic and entrepreneurial culture. Any applicant applying for this position must be comfortable with cultural diversity, organizational change and extraordinary professional demands with limited direction.
All TechTown team members must fully embrace and exhibit the enterprise core values of bold, creative, courageous, empowered, gracious and intentional.
- Serves as member of TechTown leadership team and develops collaborative professional relationships with other team members
- Manages relationships with direct reports via one-on-one meetings, team meetings, and ad-hoc discussions to ensure clarity on direction, understanding of successes and challenges
- Sets direction for technology-based programs through a firm understanding of TechTown’s goals and how the programs align, and participation in the marketplace to understand trends/developing needs; implements long-term and short-term goals to ensure timely and effective execution
- Supervises talent champion and assists with development and implementation of a robust program to attract and deploy industry experts as mentors and subject matter experts for TechTown clients in key industry verticals. Also assists in engagement of professional service providers to offer cost-effective services to TechTown businesses in areas such as legal and accounting, intellectual property, Web development, sales and marketing, and prototyping
- Active in identifying funding opportunities for TechTown clients and building relationships with funding sources including loan funds, angel investors and venture capitalists
- Supervises business development function to identify and build relationships with key TechTown partners for program delivery and expansion of TechTown’s presence in key verticals
- Participates in TechTown and industry events
- Manages program data collection
- Performs other duties as assigned by the President and CEO
Other requested skills
- Bachelor’s degree required
- At least five years of experience leading teams of professionals in the achievement of enterprise objectives
- Has established relationships (or ability to quickly do so) with partner resources in the Southeast Michigan region
- Knowledge of delivery methods for technology-based programs, including curriculum, resource identification and coaching
- Experience building teams of outside experts to provide advice and mentoring for startups and other small businesses
- Knowledge of small business funding sources, including loan funds, angel investment and venture capital
- Some prior experience with fundraising from foundations, government programs, community organizations and corporations
- Willingness and ability to work closely with management of other enterprise functions in a spirit of camaraderie, collaboration and mutual trust
- Ability to develop and maintain a robust metrics program
- Willingness to travel within Michigan with occasional travel outside of the state
- Comfortable speaking in front of large groups and to varying audiences ranging from students to C-level talent
- Must be flexible and independent, comfortable working with little direction and in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Must be passionate about entrepreneurship and revitalization in the city of Detroit and beyond, and be aware of the current entrepreneurial ecosystem
About TechTown Detroit
TechTown Detroit is the most established business accelerator and incubator in the city – founded specifically to develop and grow sustainable technology businesses. Today its work supports industry verticals that are specific to the region’s inherent assets and address the city’s identified needs, supporting not only tech businesses but also retail and wholesale enterprises for a more holistic approach to economic development. TechTown is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit and is located within the Woodward Technology Corridor SmartZone. To learn more, visit techtowndetroit.org.
Please send a resume including a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Resumes will be accepted through April 15, 2014.
TechTown will do its best to respond to each applicant individually, but please know that we appreciate your interest in the role and look forward to filling this position as soon as possible.