The Power of Persistence – and Faith

Posted Leave a commentPosted in community, education, family, scholarship, U-M

This morning, in the aftermath of a national election that was both disappointing and encouraging, I am reminded of the power of persistence and faith. Twenty-two years ago, in 1996, I had just sold the company that I and my two co-founders spent twelve years building. Ours was a journey that required tremendous persistence, faith, […]

Farewell to Wayne State University

Posted Leave a commentPosted in community, education, entrepreneurship, travel, U-M, WSU

In July of 2017, I began serving at Wayne State University in the role of Senior Counselor to the Provost for Innovation and Entrepreneurship. The brief for this position was to help the Provost and the VP of Economic Development develop and begin to execute the University’s vision for an updated and invigorated approach to […]

Urban Entrepreneurship Fall 2018 @ U-M is Underway!

Posted Leave a commentPosted in BBUM, business, community, education, entrepreneurship, U-M

The Fall 2018 edition of my Urban Entrepreneurship course at University of Michigan is underway, and I’m excited by the participation of students and Detroit entrepreneurs in this newly updated course. This semester, we have six teams of five students each working with six different urban-focused entrepreneurial ventures in the Detroit area. By the end […]

Urban Entrepreneurship Fall 2017: Final Presentations!

Posted 1 CommentPosted in community, education, entrepreneurship, U-M

Last night was the final session for U-M ENTR490.012 Urban Entrepreneurship, Fall 2017 edition. Students presented the business models they developed to a distinguished panel of judges. Really interesting business proposals, great presentations, insightful and probing questions from the judges. Thanks to the students for the privilege of being their instructor and facilitator this semester. […]

Urban-Focused Entrepreneurship: Help us find the PAIN!

Posted 2 CommentsPosted in community, education, entrepreneurship, U-M

Once again, we’re livin’ for the city. Fall is almost upon us, and so it is time for the next edition of my University of Michigan class, “Urban-Focused Entrepreneurship.” In this class, students learn to create a for-profit business model to solve an important urban problem. The process begins with students engaging an urban community […]

I’ve Joined the Wayne State University Team

Posted 2 CommentsPosted in community, education, entrepreneurship, U-M, Uncategorized

As of July 17, 2017, I have accepted a senior administrative position with Wayne State University  (WSU) in Detroit, Michigan. The position is Senior Counselor to the Provost for Innovation and Entrepreneurship. In this role, I will provide guidance and overall strategic direction to the University in areas of innovation and entrepreneurship, and will administer […]